Christine's Rantings

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Je Suis Tres Cultural I Am

I feel ever so posh. We went to see Sleeping Beauty by the Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House last night. It was excellent. The costumes were beautiful. The dancing fantastic. It was a lovely night but it did reinforce the fact that I am a total cultural philistine. Here are some of the thoughts that flitted through my head while watching;

* Princess Aurora spent most of the show on point, I could not help wondering what her feet look like. I mean, they must be totally pointy and look like goat's hooves musn't they?
* The tutu's on the ballerinas stuck straight out and I kept thinking that they looked like the paper umbrellas you get in cocktails.
* I also wondered how much starch they have to buy to keep the skirts so stiff.

I was very impressed that I followed along with the story quite well but was a little thrown by the last act. Maybe I had a different copy of the fairy tale as a child but I don't remember Puss in Boots, Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf showing up at the end. Oh well, maybe one good fairy tale deserves another.

Thursday night - dancing horses. I will tell you all about it on Friday.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home