Christine's Rantings

Friday, November 26, 2004

Live from Denmark...

it's Friday night. I am updating my blog from the field for the very first time. Cool eh?

Well, I survived my leaving do - barely. It was a great time but one or two too many glasses of red wine were consumed. We ended up at a Salsa bar. There were some amazing dancers there. I had a very interesting ride home with a Nigerian taxi driver. The at 7:oo am the taxi to take me to the airport showed up 15 minutes early. The driver was met at the door by a very scary, probably still slightly drunk, wet hair have me telling him I needed 10 more minutes. Apparently I was sufficiently scary because he didn't argue and didn't speak to me too much during the ride. I kept my hand over my mouth while checking in and the nice SAS people let me on the plane!

The saga continued with the taxi driver here. He insisted on showing me on the map where we were and where we were going while driving down the motorway in the rain at 110kph. He then went on to lecture me on Danish politics and history, atleast I think that's what it was as his accent was pretty incomprehensible. I just smiled and nodded and laughed when he did. I also took care not to make any sudden movements. Why do I attract them - first there was the geology guy telling me the benefit of Nova Scotia shale then the guy in PEI who told me how much money he was going to get for every injury he had from crashing his car - apparently a plate in your head is worth $20,000. Am I just a freak magnet? I won't even mention the lady at Ealing Hospital.

Madde and I took a walk around Copenhagen then had lunch and went to the Tivoli Gardens. We waited until after dark in order to see all the lights. It was gorgeous but unfortunately I didn't have my camera. The coolest thing was the music park - there are all different musical (drums and xylophones) instruments for people to play with - really fun. We also ate some funny timbit/donut hole type things with jam and icing sugar called Aebleskiver.

I also found the coolest shop in the whole world but I can't tell you about it because I am thinking of getting Sal's Christmas present from there. It is brilliant though so someone needs to remind me to write about it after Christmas.

Madde and I are off soon to meet some of her friends for a drink. I am not sure if I can face it -I am fading fast and really just want my bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home