Christine's Rantings

Friday, November 17, 2006

Dances With Hooves

Last night, Cat arranged for us to go see the Spanish Riding School of Vienna Lipizzaner Stallions at Wembley Arena. As she knew I would be there, HRH Queen Elizabeth II was nice enough to show up.

It was excellent, the Metropolitan Police Activity Ride went on first. They did all sorts of neat things like jumping through fire and taking off their tunics, then stirrups then saddles while riding and jumping.

The Lipizzaners then came out and they were beautiful horses. Apparently they are kept in special temperature controlled stables and fed only oat free muesli specially imported from Germany. I found the first half of the show a little slow but all the horsey people we were with were very impressed with how the horses moved. They did dressage demonstations to music and the horses were so fluid and graceful they looked as if they were dancing and skipping around the ring. In the second half, they jumped and stood on their hind legs and rode in amazingly well timed formation. All in all a cool evening.

However, I have discovered that not only am I a cultural philistine, I am an equine one as well. Actually, I am apparently just a huge saddo because I thought the coolest thing there was the cute little John Deere tractor they used to groom the special outrageously expensive sand. I just wanted to put it in my pocket and take it home.

Saturday night - dinner at the Oxo Tower for Laura's 30th birthday. Tell you all about it next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home