Christine's Rantings

Monday, November 29, 2004

Be Very Very Qwiet

Wow, where do I begin? I guess at the beginning as they say. My record of attracting the attention of freaks has reached new limits.

Yesterday evening, Madde and I went for dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant. We had a nice meal and decided to go for a drink afterwards. Madde picked the Irish pub closest to her house as the venue (I am sure you have already picked up on her love of Irish pubs - apparently there is a large Irish population here. I can think of 5 Irish bars I have seen). Anyway, we go in are enjoying our beer when we come to the attention of Klaus. A not so sober Danish guy who I think is a fisherman. His opening words to Madde as she is looking at the front of the sports section of the Sunday Times are 'My muscles look the same as the guy on the left' - Jason Robinson an English rugby player. She doesn't bite so he goes back to his pint. His next line is 'Have you ever been hunting for Anacondas?' He then launched into a long incomprehensible story about him being stopped by the police and asked if he had any animals on him so he had to put the anaconda in the harbour. He has stepped on the tails of 5 anacondas, they don't like that. At this point the bartender had to go to the other side of the room as he was laughing so much. Then he told me how the sheep that lived in the Steppes hopped to Denmark and every time they hopped they said 'eeep'. That is excluding the ones who flew. Then something about biting sheep but be careful not to bite the Arctic ones as they bite back. The thing he likes best about sheep is that they float. Next we learned that there are 14 penguins in Copenhagen and they only eat spaghetti. His personal penguin that he keeps 'under his wing' is a bit off his food at the moment and he is not sure why. At some point during the whole spiel, he decided that Madde and I were lesbians because we were both wearing stripey sweaters and told this to a lady that came up to the bar. His mate then decided to get in on the conversation and told me that I should move to Greenland as apart from the fact that practically everyone there is an alcoholic, it is a nice place. At this point I went to the bathroom and luckily while I was there they left. But not before telling Madde that they wanted us to come along with them to another bar that would be full of people from the same place as them.

The next group to sit next to us were Irish bartenders one of whom decided I was a Newfie.

Sorry this is a bit that only the Canadians will get;
The best part of the evening was that there was a group of musicians in the corner jamming and one of them was playing 45 Years by Stan Rogers. I stopped him and asked how he knows Stan's music and he said he has all his stuff and his brothers stuff too. I told him I was at one of the tribute concerts and he said he has that CD too! He loves almost all East Coast music except for Ashley. He lived in Florida and met lots of nurses from the Maritimes while he was there. He has played in St. John's. Very cool to hear and Irish guy playing Stan Rogers in a pub in Copenhagen.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home